In May of 1879, a monument was erected on the grounds of the South Carolina State House to honor the native sons who had perished in the War Between the States. It is at this monument that the Confederate battle flag was placed following its removal from the State House dome. The following is the inscription that is found on the monument:

This monument
perpetuates the memory
of those who
true to the instincts of their birth,
faithful to the teachings of their fathers,
constant in the love for their state,
died in the performance of their duty;
who
have glorified a fallen cause
by the simple manhood of their lives,
the patient endurance of suffering,
and the heroism of death;
and who
in the dark hours of imprisonment,
in the hopelessness of the hospital,
in the short, sharp agony of the field
found support and consolation
in the belief
that at home they would not be forgotten.

Let the stranger,
who may in future times
read this inscription,
recognize that these were men
whom power could not corrupt,
whom death could not terrify,
whom defeat could not dishonor;
and let their virtues plead
for just judgement
of the cause in which they perished.

Let the South Carolinian
of another generation
remember
that the state taught them
how to live and how to die,
and that from her broken fortunes
she has reserved for her children
the priceless treasure of their memories,
teaching all who may claim
the same birthright
that truth, courage, and patriotism
endure forever.

May 13, 1879